Sunday, April 1, 2007

Family matters...

Hmm... I knew that there was a chance I wouldn't be a 'regular' blogger. But as I looked back at my last post that is now a month old, I am happy to read it. I had forgotten about most of those ideas already.

So here are my reflections and my new thoughts. I love my life. I am happy. I am working on recognizing all my blessings in my life and not focusing on the crosses that I have been given to carry. This past week my extra dad-Ken Gray-ended up in the hospital with a life-threatening surgery. Nothing like that to help you focus. As much as I love Ken, it made me reflect on losses in of my real family. I don't try to spend time imagining my life without my parents...but this week I did.

My dad is my silent rock. He is who I seek constant approval from. He is the person I worry most about pleasing. I think that I am most like my dad. He is who I most try to emulate. I respect his no-nonsense approach, I respect his work ethic, I respect his honesty in situations. Dad isn't going to try to sell me something through rose-colored glasses. Dad believes in me.

My mom and I have a different relationship. She is my provider. Yeah, dad brought home the (beef) bacon, but what I needed was time, support, understanding, and a safe haven. My mom has always 'been there'. Mom is the one who picked me up when I was hit by a car when I was six, she was the one who picked me up when my heart was broken at sixteen. My mom was on speed dial when I was 26 and my one-year-old was keeping me on my toes.. Little did I know at that time how much I had ahead of me in this wonderful world of motherhood. My mom gave me advice from the heart. I knew when I needed to head for dad to get my focus back, but when I needed sympathy, mom was there.

Penny thought(advice):
"Don't burn your candle at both end of the wick." -Dad
"Little kids, little problems, big kids, big problems." - Mom

Some of my favorites!
  • THIS TOO SHALL PASS
  • THAT WHICH DOES NOT KILL US MAKES US STRONGER
  • DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF *
  • (It's all small stuff)

1 comment:

Nelson's Nest said...

It is such a gift to be able to recognize the different imprints loved ones make on you. As you describe your parents I instantly notice you share many many of those traits you so dearly respect in them. You truly are a rock and a provider... I realize this duality can be difficult to deal with at times, but you wear so many hats so well.