Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spring! Amen!

What a wonderful - glorious- fabulous - spectacular spring weekend we had...

Friday Night
Athena & I participated in - witnessed - the First Annual Cattle Barron's Saloon Crawl. We didn't go from saloon to saloon. We walked ourselves two miles down to the Rainbow and watched as the hard core crawlers came and went. It isn't often that Athena & I have kid-less adventures. This was a night full of fun stories that will carry us through the rest of this school year!

Saturday
The girls went to the Art Center and made homemade paper from pulp and added their own creative elements. It was a fun morning. Each of my girls enjoy crafts and art as much as I do...so we try to participate in the classes at the Art Center as often as we can. A perk...they received a grant recently so they are doing a series of six-weeks of free classes. Check them out. Week one was a huge success!


That afternoon the girls ALL got to make cookies. All three will be entering cookies in the Milton-Freewater Fair on Mother's Day Weekend. Reagan choose to make Pumpkin drop cookies. Grace is making Oatmeal Coconut Crispies. Taryn made Lemon Tea Cookies. All the recipes passed my inspection. (OK, so I'm not that rigorous of a judge but I had to try 6 of each to make sure they were perfect!)

Marc was busy in the basement most of the day. He hired a crew to do the drywall for us. Marc had already hung the sheet rock, we just needed the mud & tape done. We thought it would save time and be worth the money, it was not! The guy worked incredibly slow...and his quality of work was not up to Marc's standard. We paid him half of the agreed upon amount and left with the job only half done. In-between layers Marc got the lawn mowers ready for the year and I mowed the lawn for the first time. I am happy to report, I only found one lost Easter Egg, and it wasn't even in the grass. I always worry when I pull out the mower for the first time.



Sunday
Sunday was another beautiful day. Grace, my alarm clock, did not get up until 7:30...I knew it was going to be a great day. We attended church, ate donuts, visited with our friends. Then, Marc and the two little girls tackled laundry, while Taryn and I tackled her 4-H record book. That took a lot of patience on both our parts. We nearly finished...and almost made it without tears.


We spent an hour at showmanship class in Athena. Taryn is doing a much better job handling the lambs. Max, her lamb of choice, now weighs 90 lbs. This is a good number. We need him to weigh at least 95 lbs. by show time. Minnie, the back-up lamb, weighs in at 86 lbs. Taryn is learning a lot and her enthusiasm is contagious.





The Johnson family joined us for dinner and Marc BBQ'ed. He is chef extraordinaire when in comes to the BBQ or prime rib, or salmon, or heck any meat-and-potato-type of meal. We dined on paper plates so cleanup couldn't be much easier.


Have I mentioned, what a wonderful - glorious - fabulous - spectacular spring weekend it was?





Even the squirrel's were soaking up the spring sunshine!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sounds just about perfect :)

** and no, the kissing/adorable pictures are with my camera. Stella was just mine to use for a couple of days :)

Have a great week!!

Stacy B said...

Oh, what a great weekend. Ronda and I wanted to do the Saloon Crawl! I wish we would have done it with you guys. Maybe we have to make it another mom's night out.

Happy Spring!

Nelson's Nest said...

Great post!!! What a full, fabulous weekend you had. This post will always remind you just how good life is at this moment in time :)