Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A touch of Christmas

We are going with a 'less-is-more' approach this Christmas. In keeping with that theme, there are less decorations out, fewer ornaments on the tree and a downsizing of gifts under the tree.

I remember there were some tough times when I was young, I also remember the years when there were stacks of presents surrounding me. The greatest of my memories though are of being with my family. Those are memories I want to be creating for my girls. The presents they will forget, the time spent together, the laughter, the games, the creating...those are the memories that I want to last.

Here is a touch of our home:


Fisher Price Nativity on my first table runner.


This Nativity set has allowed my breakable sets to stay safe. The girls can move this around all they want...it is one of their favorite things to come out of the Christmas boxes.

The table runner is ok. I am more critical of my work than anyone else would be. It is definitely nice enough to go on MY table but it wasn't 'gift worthy.' It was the first of six that needed to be sewn...each of them, one of a kind. Each of them a bit better than the one before.






This is a close up of my Christmas tree. The bird house was a birthday gift from my parents a few years ago. It is my answer to the question: "How do you fill a large hole in your tree?"

I stuck with my simple homemade or nature-like ornaments. Now I am looking for some small little decorative birds to sit on the branches. If the girls and I get another snow day, I'd like to make some bird seed ornaments too.

Santa's Key

When we moved to this house there was no fireplace. It was essential that we get a magic key so that Santa could get in to fill our stockings.


The green chair was my Grandma's chair. I can't bear to get it refinished because it was hers, and I don't want to change how it looks. The springs are broken and the underside sheds when you sit down on it...but I love it just the same. The can is also from back home. I found it in one of the old machine sheds. Grace made the candle decoration on top in her 4-H Wildlife Stewards club. She was so proud to bring it home. The Santa came from St. Mary's bazaar. I try to get a new Santa each year. There weren't any this year that grabbed my attention.

* * *

Even though I didn't put out all my ornaments and decorations this year, I looked at each and every one of them. I love that I have ornaments my girls have made, ones from my past students, some from friends new and old, or from places we have visited. I don't know that I could choose a favorite, but together they are a sampling of many happy memories.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne ~ your home is obviously filled with many happy memories and much love! You have a beautiful family... a very merry Christmas to you!
~Stacie (Gaffaney)

Nelson's Nest said...

Sweet post :) I think your home looks beautiful. My favorite decoration in your home this year is the one Grace made. It is just perfect.

Stacy B said...

My favorite picture is the door-knob with the key. Just beautiful. I love your table runner, you did an excellent job. Happy Holiday's, friend. Enjoy your day off (hopefully!) tomorrow.